Tuesday 31 January 2012

Project Evaluation

This project was he Retail Graphics Project this entailed forming an imaginary company of our choice and producing packaging and swing tag outcomes for the company of our choice. I chose to do a video games company because of my interest in the industry and general knowledge of video game shops, which I thought would help motivate and encourage me to make the best final outcome possible.

I started off by creating a mood board of the logos and of the industry I had chosen to get to grips with the kind of companies packaging and principles our outcomes should envisage. The next thing we did was a large broad ranged mind map of ideas for any type of shop to get a general understanding of the direction we should take our project in regardless of the specific industry. I started to create a logo for my brand and using pencil and other mediums of design started to get an idea of what I wanted to do with my logo and whole I wanted it to look as a base before adding any graphics to it. At this stage I started to develop my logo using computer software such as Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop to develop my logo and try out different ways of editing the base that I had created. After using cross-stitching to edit the logo I found that this was the best way to keep it relevant to the industry I was using.

I then started to concentrate on packaging and the surface pattern for the packaging getting inspiration and influence from the research of packaging of the main competitors in the video game market. I compared them to the best to push my own to be of that standard. I researched nets and fastenings using card templates of different types of fastening and boxes to get a general idea of how I wanted my box to work. I found that combing different fastening and box shapes depended on the product that was going to be inside. I then analyzed swing tags of top brands to understand the significance of them and find out what I need do include on my own to finish of my research.

This research helped me to get a better understanding of the workings of packaging and why they are used and made the way they are this made for my product to be more realistic because my research had given me a broader impression of the use of packaging.

My end product was a box and swing tag which was inspired by all of the brands and packaging examples I had researched and also some independent work on surface patterns especially the marbling technique and chose to use that as my surface pattern for my outcome packaging. I also made a swing tag with the same surface pattern because form my research ad experiments found that most brands kept them the same. I feel that this was a successful project, and I feel it was successful due to the in depth experimenting and research I did into the industry and packaging and also my interest in it also.

No comments:

Post a Comment